Saturday, September 19, 2009

Staples.

What are your staples? In my house a few would be mayonaise, ketchup, bread, ham, brown rice, and Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame salad dressing (so yummy on a salad and trust me, cook your chicken in it and you will LOVE it forever). Well, those are the basics for us anyway! What about you? What is it you can't live without?

I've been thinking. Yes, I know that sounds a little dangerous, but really, I've been thinking about a few of the things that I love most in this world. And although chocolate, books and my favorite blanket may be difficult for me to imagine living without, I can gulp and shiver and acknowledge that I can manage, somehow, without those things. They are more of a luxury than a necessity. They are indulgences that give me warm fuzzies, but they aren't essential for my daily living. So what is it that really matters? What is truly valuable? What is it that I cannot live without?
A few years ago, I was going through some personal trials. I was missing my mom after her passing and learning the responsibilities of being an adult with my own family. I was a role model as a worship leader but felt like a failure in some personal choices I had made. I was thankful for God's grace but I was worried about my husband and my children. I wished I could be more like my mom and yet wise enough to learn from her mistakes. I wanted more for my life, more for my family, more for my children's future than I was capable of giving them myself. I was overwhelmed and felt inadequate and incomplete.
With all of this turmoil swirling in my mind, I was on the platform at church leading worship with my husband and we began singing "Lord, I Give You My Heart". As my lips formed the words of the line "All that I adore is in You", I felt lightheaded with the truth of what I was singing. All my fears, anxieties, failures and worries literally melted away as I envisioned my concerns about my family ~ my sweet husband and my precious babies ~ in God's hands. In HIS hands.
I've realized that there are many things that I CAN live without in my life. I don't have to have the fanciest car or home, I don't have to have the latest style of fashion on my back or on my feet. My essentials, my staples, my necessities are my family, my dear friends and my Savior. So I encourage you today to take stock, do some inventory and determine those things that are life to you.

Enjoy a moment of worship, meditation or internal searching as you listen to this video below and give all that you adore to God's hands.  My heart hopes your heart hopes today.



Read

Lord, I Give You My Heart Lyrics

here.

No comments:

Redeeming Love

* Not written to seek sympathy. I’ll be honest. Father's Day has never been my favorite holiday. I would stand forever in the Hallmar...