Tuesday, December 8, 2009

You Asked For It! You Got It!

I've had numerous requests for these 2 recipes since Thanksgiving, so I'm posting them here for those that have asked for them! Hope you enjoy and add them to your Christmas menu this year!

We were introduced to this first recipe by our Pastors in Arkansas at Victory Church. Being so far from our family for the 5 years we served there, we often spent our holidays with The Coffman's and they graciously adopted us into their family during that time! And one of the many things we gleaned from them during those years was this delicious recipe that Ms. Jeanne, our Pastor's wife, would serve every Thanksgiving and Christmas! This is definitely the way to get your kids to eat their veggies! And EVERY time I make it for family, friends or a church function I am inundated by requests for the recipe! It's so easy and DELICIOUS! I usually prepare it the night before the big meal so I can just pop it in the oven when it's almost time for dinner.

Ms. Jeanne's Veggie Casserole
2 lb frozen mixed veggies (green bean, carrot, corn mix)
8 oz sour cream
1 C mayonaise
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 roll Ritz crackers
1/2 C butter

Cook veggies, drain water, salt & pepper to taste. Mix sour cream & mayonaise. Combine with veggies & cheese. Crush crackers & mix with melted butter. Put cracker mixture on top. Cook at 350 for 20 min if you are making it fresh, if you have had it in the fridge overnight, cook for 45 to 1 hr. (Tip: I usually double the crackers/butter mix so there is a nice thick topping to spread across the top.)

The next recipe comes from a good friend of mine who brought us some meals while Donnie was recovering from one of his surgeries and she also had baked us a loaf of fresh banana bread. It was so delicious I had to have her recipe! Every year I ask her for it again because I never put it in my recipe box, but now it's official on it's very own index card! I like to give them as gifts but we always keep several loaves for home too. Donnie hates bananas, but he LOVES this banana bread!

Lisa's Banana Bread
1 C sugar
2 eggs
2 bananas
dash salt
1/2 C butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 T milk
2 C flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C pecans optional

Mash the bananas until it has the consistency of baby food. Mix your dry ingredients and then mix in the wet ingredients. Add pecans as desired. Bake at 350 for 1 hr. (Tip: If giving as gifts, this recipe will make 3 mini loafs.)

No comments:

Redeeming Love

* Not written to seek sympathy. I’ll be honest. Father's Day has never been my favorite holiday. I would stand forever in the Hallmar...