Friday, July 15, 2011

Goodwill Toward Men (Thrift Haul!)

One hundred and sixty three shopping days are left until Christmas! If you know anything about me, then you KNOW I love me some Christmas! About this time of year I drive many of my facebook friends crazy with sweet reminders of the upcoming holidays. Granted they are months AND MONTHS away, but I just can't help it!

There's something about the hot, humid 100+ degree weather in Texas that makes me want to sing Christmas carols! And the shopping bug has bitten me, my friends. I have rediscovered the joy of thrift shopping. Years ago in my college days and throughout my twenties I often hit up the Salvation Army, Goodwill and local second-hand stores. I was quite tacky with some of my fashion choices at times, but one of my thrift finds still lingers in my mind.

Back in the 90s, I found the perfect smokey blue blazer to wear over my leggings. I was looking through the men's section, thumbing through the musty menswear, trying to find something for my funky little brother and my fingers fell upon a jacket that just spoke to me. I tried it on and it fit me perfectly. I was in LOVE.  I have no idea whatever happened to what quickly became a wardrobe staple for me, but I remember it with extreme fondness.


I've been driving around town lately noticing all the Goodwill stores and got the itch to go in and see what I could find. And following blogs like this really helped to reignite my thrift-lust! So I finally stepped inside one about 2 weeks  ago and I've gone twice more since! I am SO digging getting name brand clothing that I would have paid several hundred bucks for (in total) for maybe $15 instead! I found several blouses, a pair of jeans, a dress and several knick knacks (including some Christmas goodies!!!)... for pennies people!

And now, I proudly share my Thrift Haul with you!

Girls Butterfly Skirt = $1.00
This one I didn't actually find at Goodwill, I found it at a local kids' consignment store that I frequent for my children. It's hard to tell from this pic, but it is the cutest mint green butterfly print cotton skirt that I got for $1.00 and my little girl LOVES it! I'll have to post a pic of her in it soon. 

Photobucket 

Cato blouse w/built in turquoise tank = $3.99
Not striking on camera, but the colors are really pretty and it looks very summery and makes me think of the colors on the beach. It's super cute on, but I have to shrink a little to be comfy in it.

Photobucket

Faded Glory Sleeveless Blouse = $3.99
Okay, yes it's a Walmart brand, but it is really cute and has these strands of silver thread in it that dress it up. I don't like to wear WM brands too often, but I haven't seen anyone else with this shirt on & it's a great light summer look.


Photobucket


Lane Bryant Boyfriend style Jeans = $4.99
Hold on to your britches people! I can't believe I found these LB jeans at Goodwill! They are in superb condition! These would cost at least $50 bucks at the store! Terrible picture, I really need to step up my camera, the iphone shots just don't cut it.

Photobucket 

Torrid Graphic Dress = $7.98
This one made me gasp. Torrid!!! It is SO cute, the back cutout is a little risque for moi, so I will wear a black cami tank underneath it (that I also got from Goodwill for only $1.99). Hubby likes this one! Wink-Wink!


Photobucket 

Over-sized Christmas Mugs = $0.99 each!
These mugs are 'matching' as they are in a collection together. They are adorable and I thought they would be perfect for a Secret Sister gift with some other goodies in a basket, or maybe I just might keep them for ME!

Photobucket 

Porcelain Christmas Sleigh = $0.99
This glossy white sleigh caught my eye straight out and even had a twin (which I did not purchase). I think they may have originally been used as small planters because there were some dirt crumbs in them, but I think they're a little bit teensy for that! I thought it would be ideal to hold my kitchen sponge at Christmas time so I can think Christmas-y thoughts while I'm doing the dishes!

Photobucket 

Decorative Metal Planter = $0.99
This planter fit the style and colors in my kitchen and is just what I needed to replace that pink/purple/lavendar eyesore of a plant holder seen in the background of the picture.

Photobucket 

Decorative Metal Urn/Vase = $0.99
This cute urn is right up my artistic hubby's alley. He is fantastic at putting together gorgeous & unique silk flower arrangements and I could just see him using this for one of his fabulous creations. So there you go honey, it's all yours!

Photobucket 

Ceramic Candle Pedestal = $0.99
I LOVE this thing! It needs to be repainted or else distressed a little more, but it is going to be PERFECT for on top of my TV armoire in the living room. I love it's chunky-ness (is that a word?) and old world look!

Photobucket 

So there we have it! My first thrift haul in YEARS. And let me just say, being the mom of a 6 and 8 year old, the Goodwill is the PERFECT babysitter! I gave them strict rules of staying together and a mission of finding a treasure for each of them for $1.00 or less... they found some ugly little knick knacks, but I got to shop without being disturbed and keep an eye on them at the same time! LOVES IT!!!

No comments:

Redeeming Love

* Not written to seek sympathy. I’ll be honest. Father's Day has never been my favorite holiday. I would stand forever in the Hallmar...